Friday, June 10, 2011

I love short weeks!

So Monday, June 6 was Memorial Day in Korea and I spent a lovely weekend on the beach (with the exception of my trip to Cuba in June I don't think I've ever spent a weekend on a beach in June).  There was a sand festival on Haeundae beach in Busan with what seemed like the rest of the country.  Quests for Mexican food took place as the restaurants were either fully booked or running out of food.  My legs were buried in the sand and I partook in chicken fights on the beach and ended up covered in sand.

Usually I find short weeks go by the slowest.  You're craving the weekend because you know its right around the corner but somehow the days drag on, and not to mention Daegu has never been hotter.  I'm reduced to wearing skirts to school (which would never happen back home) and fanning myself with a free fan I picked up from some salon promotion.  But somehow, this week would make me believe its full moon week. 

The Monk who verbally accosted me
I had a monk approach me in a coffee shop (where there were only two of us: myself and a Korean) and the monk came up to me begging me for money.  The Korean was yelling at him; he never budged, the coffee shop owner came and told him to leave; still no budging, but just kept asking me for 잔원 (1,000won) and that he was poor.  Finally the owner started dragging him out to which he was still begging for money AND the Korean was yelling at him and I kept saying "anniyo" (meaning no), until he finally left.  Weird.

The Brown Crowd
I live in an area with a fairly large immigrant centre.  There are Indians, Pakistanis, Nepalese, Thai, Vietnamese, Malaysians and the list can go on.  However, whenever I come across (what I am now deeming) the Brown crowd they do nothing but stop their conversations and stare as I walk by.  I either just pretend to be on the phone or put my iPod louder as I ignore them.  Recently, I walked past a man in the morning lighting up his cigarette.  The moment I walked past him, I swear it was like verbal diarrhea- words spurting out of nowhere in a sudden burst, and just when you think it will end, there's more!  It started with a "hi! hello!" so I say hi, then "how are you? what's your name? where are you from?" so I just walked quicker and said "Canada".  That's fine.  Just a little weird.  But the other day I was walking to school and saw a car slow down and a brown face pop out and he literally watched me as I walked past him.  Very creepy.  Sometimes its a little too much.

T-Class Coffee
There is an abundance of coffee shops in Korea.  A new one opened up so I went with a friend to check it out.  The menu made me laugh:

So, if you get the coffee therapy (which I did), you get this herbal concoction.  You dip it in your Americano for 5 seconds.  Then drink your Americano.  Then get a glass of hot water which you then steep your herbal concoction in and gulp that down.  It is awesome and very intriguing especially when the names of your drinks are Menstrual Leave, Haggard Face and Blood Type. 

No Whitening!
The best things about beauty stores are the many freebies (or as they say in Korea "service") products you get with your purchase.  Well, I went in and made sure I asked for non-whitening products.  All flustered and flabbergasted with the fact that a waygook was in the store with the insane idea of not wanting a whitening product, they took me around until I decided on what I wanted.  Then when it came down to giving me the freebies, they went on an insane search of products that did not have whitening products in it.  Every time they dropped something in the bag they'd look at me and say "Non-whiten okay?".  It was the funniest maybe most bizarre things to happen to me, but it did make my day!

17 comments:

  1. Hello! I am a reporter from The Korea Times Chung Min-uck. We are looking for some foreign writers who can contribute to our Opinion section’s Thoughts of the Times.
    If you are available and want to know more about it please don’t hesitate to contact us. We can talk further about the issue through E-mail or on the phone.

    E-mail: muchung@koreatimes.co.kr
    Cell Phone: 010-4188-9781

    If you are sure you want to write on our column then send me your E-mail address and cell phone number. Then we will contact you first.

    Thanks!
    Sincerely, Min-uck

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Shelley,

    Just having a little look around - Are you doing teaching through epik or a language school? I got offered a job today in Daegu and just wondering what life is like over there? You sound a bit like me! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just want to say i adore your site containing valuable thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. nice, very interesting.

    --------------------------------
    LA Translation and Interpretation, Inc. provides certified translation services and interpreters in Chinese, Korean, Japanese, French, German, Russian, Italian, Vietnamese, Arabic, and Spanish.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there, Just found your blog by chance. Noticed you haven't posted anything for a little while. Are you still in Korea?

    I write a blog about my life in Seoul. It focuses of reviewing places (restaurants, bars, shopping places etc) and helping pass on information to other foreigners here. Most recently I've written about Times Square Mall and where to get a tan in Korea. For the first 2 years I was here I never saw a fake tan product but I just did recently, I was pretty excited by that, haha!

    Upcoming posts about some great bars and clubs to visit.

    Take a look at...

    *** SEOULSOME BLOG ***

    http://seoulsome.blogspot.com



    I've followed you anyway in the hope you're not gone. Follow mine if you like it and let me know what you think! ^^

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, I stumbled on your blog after googling a Korean dish. Funny I can't even remember what it was now because once I started reading your blog I found it so enjoyable, I just kept on reading. So interesting to experience another culture (albeit vicariously) through a fellow Westerner's eyes. Keep up the great work and best of luck in Korea. B

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice post. I was checking continuously this blog and I am impressed! Very useful information particularly the last part ??
    I care for such info much. I was seeking this particular info for a very long time. Thank you and best of luck.
    Your style is unique in comparison to other people I have read stuff from.
    Web Design company in Kolkata
    Website Design company in Kolkata

    ReplyDelete
  8. 고양오피【bamclick1。com】◈밤클릭◈ ⟐고양마사지⟐고양안마⟐고양유흥⟐고양휴게텔⟐고양풀싸롱⟐고양키스방⟐고양건마⟐고양리얼돌⟐고양출장안마⟐고양룸싸롱⟐고양OP

    ReplyDelete
  9. 종로오피【bamclick1。com】◈밤클릭◈ ⟐종로마사지⟐종로안마⟐종로유흥⟐종로휴게텔⟐종로풀싸롱⟐종로키스방⟐종로건마⟐종로리얼돌⟐종로출장안마⟐종로룸싸롱⟐종로OP

    ReplyDelete
  10. 중구오피【bamclick1。com】◈밤클릭◈ ⟐중구마사지⟐중구안마⟐중구유흥⟐중구휴게텔⟐중구풀싸롱⟐중구키스방⟐중구건마⟐중구리얼돌⟐중구출장안마⟐중구룸싸롱⟐중구OP

    ReplyDelete
  11. 용산오피【bamclick1。com】◈밤클릭◈ ⟐용산마사지⟐용산안마⟐용산유흥⟐용산휴게텔⟐용산풀싸롱⟐용산키스방⟐용산건마⟐용산리얼돌⟐용산출장안마⟐용산룸싸롱⟐용산OP

    ReplyDelete
  12. 성동오피【bamclick1。com】◈밤클릭◈ ⟐성동마사지⟐성동안마⟐성동유흥⟐성동휴게텔⟐성동풀싸롱⟐성동키스방⟐성동건마⟐성동리얼돌⟐성동출장안마⟐성동룸싸롱⟐성동OP

    ReplyDelete
  13. SkinLite Cream is a physician endorsed medicine containing a blend of Mometasone, Tretinoin, and Hydroquinone. It is primarily utilized in the treatment and avoidance of moderate to extreme melasma. Kindly don't use it for the drawn-out span except your primary care physician endorsed as it contains a steroid. It would help if you evaded sun presentation following applying this Cream. Skinlite Cream ought to be utilized uniquely under clinical solution, and for the span, it is endorsed.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great article!! Thank you so much. visit me here
    ngi teletalk result

    ReplyDelete